Friday 1 August 2014

Building Systems Report:

I have written my systems report on the TossB 'Brace' hanging series light fixture. I feel that it suits my desired minimalistic aesthetic with a dark moody atmosphere to it. I have decided to choose a light fixture for my systems report due to the fact that I feel that it is going to be the pinnacle in creating this aesthetic. Due to the fact that this project is about Ihi and Wehi and thus the emotional and psychological behaviour of my customers and is centred around the lighting that we use, I feel that it was a no brainer to do my systems report on a light fixture..

The content of my Systems Report is as follows with an image of what it looks like following that:



"Brace Hanging Series:

In my retail store, I am interested in creating a minimalistic design that is welcoming however is quite moody and dark. I intend to achieve this through my light fixture choices.

TossB are a lighting design company situated in Belgium. They use the Auckland based Aesthetics Lighting within New Zealand to supply their products to New Zealanders. TossB’s synopsis about their Brace Hanging Series is as follows:

 “The 'Brace' has a neat, minimalist design, with a thick, folded aluminium plate, which serves as a basis for a whole family of wall, hanging and spot units. The choice of different light sources means that this model also has a wide range of applications. As a result, the 'brace' looks equally good at home, in the office or in any other 'professional' setting.”

The brace hanging series comes in four different sizes and four different finishes – brushed aluminium and white, grey or black painted. I am really interested in the black finish, as it looks sleek and sophisticated whilst maintaining the minimalistic look I am striving to produce.

The different sizes that this hanging light is available in are:
  • 650 x 200mm
  • 950 x 200mm
  • 1250 x 200mm
  • 1550 x 200mm 
Due to the fact that the store is just over 12 metres in depth, I have decided to use a slightly larger fixture at 1250 x 200mm. This is an attempt to decrease the amount of light fixtures I will need within my store and thus hopefully decreasing the energy consumption and subsequent power bill. However I must keep in mind availability as Aesthetics Lighting has quoted a 6 – 8 week turn around. This means I need to order ahead and allow for the turn around if this wasn’t a hypothetical design and construction were to progress. Unfortunately they have not quoted how much each fixture is to purchase – thorough consultation with the supplier would be needed.


TossB have specified that the lamp that will be used within this fixture is a 228/54: T5-interna 54W. In an attempt to find more information about this lamp, I have found a product that I feel meets the specifications. The ‘Lumilux De Luxe T5 HO’ is a 54W, 230V T5 fluorescent lamp that is perfect application within retail stores and has ‘excellent colour rendering’. Another great feature to this lamp is that it has the ability to be dimmed; this will allow the ability of altering the mood within my store even more if the situation arises. The energy consumption of this lamp is 60 kWh/1000h with a lifespan of 24,000 hours. Having a lamp that has a long lifespan is a great investment in the fact the lamps will be replaced less frequently thus saving money in the process. The lamps length is 1149mm with a diameter of 16mm, which means it will fit well in my ‘brace’ hanging fixture."


No comments:

Post a Comment