Monday 25 August 2014

Constructing my Corflute Design to my Lightbox

So I have laser cut my corflute design after a few test runs. I started off making a few boxes at the edge of my corflute so I could test the depth and how fine each cut was. When I was reasonably happy with how my tests turned out, it was time to laser cut my design..

These are the settings that I have used for my laser cut on corflute. Any red lines (engraving) are cut at 12.5% power, 10% speed and a focal depth of 3mm. Any blue lines (to cut through the material) are cut at 80% power, 10% speed and a focal depth of 3.5mm.
My design being cut by the laser cutter. 
Finished. It has worked perfectly as I planned in the fact that I coloured my lines right so I haven't cut any sections out where they needed to be rastered or vice versa.
I have decided to laser cut my design again on another piece of corflute to a couple of reasons. Firstly the blue line settings that I set up above cut the shapes however there were tabs still left on so they wouldn't fall out. This has meant that I grabbed a scalpel and have cut the tabs on each shape. However, this method was taking far too long whereas it was 9 minutes to laser cut my design. The other reason that I have decided to recut my design is because my red engraved lines were engraved a little too deep so the structural integrity of my design was iffy.

I have gone back to the laser cutter and have undertaken a lot more tests in order to get these settings exactly how I want them. For it to come out perfectly, I have altered the settings so that they read: red - 7% power, 10% speed and a focal depth of 3mm. Blue - 85% power, 6% speed and a focal depth of 3.5mm. When I picked up my design from the laser cutter after it had finished, all the cut through shapes just fell out exactly how I had hoped they would. No need for the scalpel.
A couple of images as my design was being cut for the second time.
Now that I have my design laser cut, I have to think about how I will attach it to the rest of my lightbox. I have decided that hot glueing it would hopefully be the best option to avoid potentially cracking the corflute - if I was to use screws for example. An idea Ash in the workshop suggested, was that I drill holes into the box at about 5mm deep in order to get more glue in and make the join a lot stronger. So I have done just that. 

A couple of images showing a test of the hot glue method in use. If it is applied well and evenly, The bond is quite strong as you can see from the images - these images were taken only about one minute after application.

No comments:

Post a Comment