Sunday 20 July 2014

Considering Materiality

Due to the fact that I want to create a minimalist driven store layout and aesthetic, I have begun to consider what materials I could implement. There are steel beams throughout the existing premises which look as though they are load bearing. Due to the fact that I want to keep the existing second floor, I will keep the steel beams also. 

I feel that by using steel beams and a polished concrete floor will really bring out the minimalistic aesthetic that I am striving for. However, I do not want to use a really glossy polished floor as I feel that that could potentially be tacky. The following are examples of how my floor may look like:

I really like the glossiness that example has. I really want to incorporate coloured l.e.d lighting within my store to help create a particular atmosphere, so using a polished floor like above will really help my colours pop throughout the interior of my store. I don't really want the harshness of the joining between the slabs of concrete though, if I do have to have joints, I will want to make them as clean as possible. 
I chose this example not only for the glossiness and grain of the concrete, I really like the concrete slabs protruding down from the ceiling. This really helps to reinforce the minimalistic aesthetic that I am striving for. Due to the fact that I am intending on keeping the second storey in my store, I probably will not be able to hang something like this due to the amount of load and the amount of space I have to work with.. I may try do something will the steel beams to replicate the concept however, as I feel that this could be a very interesting way of displaying my products. 
This is more of a material focused image in which I absolutely love this concrete grain. Again the glossiness is not too pronounced which I like, but having this grain, adds another element to the floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment