Tuesday 29 July 2014

Analogue Model 1: Steel Beam Wall

Due to the fact that there is a steel support frame in the existing premises that is critical to the structure of the building, I decided to use it as inspiration in order to create a potential recessed feature wall that is made out of the same material and look as the steel beam. I wanted to do a design that would reflect the way in which these steel beams are used within buildings - straight and with crossed joins.. I feel that this would create an interesting aesthetic and in doing so would link it back to the original building. I started this model of so well, however as the cutting progressed, the craft began to suffer a lot lol. This model is made from plain old foam board. I wanted to capture the shadows cast by its form due to the fact that this assignment is all about Ihi and Wehi and thus manipulating light to create a physiological and behavioural response. If I can create large, strong shadows throughout my store to create a strong atmosphere and mood I will do well in designing a store that abides by the notion of Ihi and Wehi.


The pattern of my steel beam recessed feature wall drawn onto the foam board


It is a bit rough, but I have finally cut the pattern out and am able to undertake light tests to see the shadows cast from this form. My idea is that if I am to use this within my retail store, I will have it with a light backing it, or have something like l.e.d strips lights in order to help create an atmosphere and mood within my store. What type of lighting and what colours I would use etc. would be determined later on after I have finalised the aesthetic and mood I want to run throughout my store.





The following images I decided to turn off the lights and solely use a torch in order to emphasise the shadows cast by my model. Due to the fact that this project is centred around the key words of Ihi and Wehi and thus the emotions and behaviour that is associated with these terms, we will be focusing on lighting to achieve this.

I am interested in creating a reasonably dark interior for my store, with downlights or recessed wall lights for example to emphasise particular elements in my store to help create an inviting yet somewhat mysterious mood and atmosphere. This extends from my precedent work and what personally attracts myself into a store. Due to the fact that myself and other men like myself would be my demographic, I feel that by designing a store that would intrigue me into entering would also intrigue other men who would normally shop for the products I would sell. 






Obviously, the closer I have my model to the light, the larger the shadow cast of its form. This is another thing I would need to consider in my store - how large or small do I want the shadows to be?









No comments:

Post a Comment